Reply to post: Magic!

Festive streamers caught in Vulture's claws: Gadget-ogle for audiophiles, video geeks

Chris Cartledge

Magic!

For me, the QED uPlay Stream is as close to magic as it comes (ref: Arthur C. Clarke: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic).

I have put off streaming for years because it looked too complicated, particularly if you want to preserve the sound quality of CDs, but the pile of of silver discs has now got too large. You should be able to go into a shop and just buy it, but it seems that people end up buying bits and doing it themselves.

The uPlay device itself looks too small to be real, just the size of a CD, and the Android app has a basic feel to it, but for to me it just worked with flac files off the tablet. I am listening via a Class D amplifier which is also infeasibly small with some old Kef bookshelf loudspeakers and it sounds wonderful!

The file server is on order and really ought to be a recycled Atom based PC or a PI but I bottle out of DIY so it is actually going to be a Synology and I am hoping that this also will just work...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon