Reply to post: Re: Endurance?

FLASH better than DISK for archiving, say academics. Are they stark, raving mad?

razorfishsl

Re: Endurance?

I spent a year researching die level Nand flash for a dissertation, what I found out completely shocked me, so much so I never use SSD's for critical data storage or booting my os.

ANY sort of access to the Nand Flash array causes degradation to the data on the device (randomly!!). Read/write and even drift over time ( as the level amps. start to drift, new & old data charge levels starts to drift wider apart)

One thing they don't mention is that you can loose a complete chip of data if the read amps go out of spec .

MLC is potentially the kiss of death for your data, they store 4 different binary levels in 1 cell based on charge level rather than simple 'binary'.

So rather than storing '1 or 0' they can store '00','01','10','11' in a single bit, which means your differential read/write amps have to be SPOT on to clearly distinguish the 4 levels, if the amps. go out of spec…. so does the data.

It is VERY hard to loose a complete disk drive of data( relatively speaking), and there is usually a warning, this is not the case with Nand flash.

Worse is that some 'scumbag' companies are deliberately selling defective product into the market under a 'special' brand name, unfortunately their product and details are covered under NDA.

All I can say is that I was completely shocked at what crap is ending up on the market, some of the product is only good for 50-100 writes, ( mainly crap from China, BUT the dies are from 'reputable' known companies, so the internal die ID's read as 'quality' product when queried electronically, [you can ask a Nand chip 'who made you'])

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon