Reply to post: Thoughts from an uneducated person

GOD particle MAY NOT BE GOD particle: Scientists in shock claim

Khaptain Silver badge
Mushroom

Thoughts from an uneducated person

<Flamebait warning>

[Do not read ahead withough having read the first line in this comment. you have been warned]

Since the CERN announced that they found the Higgs Boson I always had the "uneducated" feeling that their annoncement was far too media orientated. Almost as if they were in a position whereby they had to make a discovery in order to justify the expense.

It's a bit like the Big Data thing that is going on, we have loads of data, we can see things happening, we just don't know how to explain them, yet. So let's give it a name....

Very few people truly understand what the Higgs Boson actually is, could be, I certainely don't and I presume that the very large majority of the planet don't either. So how can we truly be sure of what has or has not been found. Are they just giving the name to something new and as of yet unexplained or have they indeed found what they are looking for.. Who is truly in a position to be the judge ?

These Danish scientists are challenging the finding which is a good thing. Science does not always come up with the correct answer the first time....

Uneducated : Other than having read ICE-9 I have no further education physics, quantum mechanics etc knowledge whatsoever, just a passing interest in what is going on in the region in which I live. If things went wrong in the Cern I always imagine that it could be kinda nasty...for humanity....it's the ICE-9 effect....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon