Reply to post: Re: The NSA culture ...

Ex-NSA lawyer warns Google, Apple: IMPENETRABLE RIM ruined BlackBerry

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: The NSA culture ...

we could help the NSA & GCHQ grow their roses - and smell sweeter?

I don't know whether http://www.shitexpress.com/ is the right place for gifts, I mean that's getting on for half a million parcels..

RIM ran their 'secure servers' in such places as Bracknell/Reading & Canada (deep 5*eyes) and caused outrage with users when they went offline, unsuccessful 'tap' patches? There was a succession of (mildly repressive) governments (deep 5*eyes friends) who started demanding local servers, India, UAE, France, etc if I recall correctly. I'm sure that RIM delivered local access. VERIFIED

NEW DELHI, Aug 3 2010 (Reuters) - Research in Motion RIM has agreed to allow Indian security agencies to monitor its BlackBerry services, The Economic Times newspaper reported on Tuesday, after pressure from governments worried about national security. RIM has offered to share with Indian security agencies its technical codes for corporate email services, open up access to all consumer emails within 15 days and also develop tools in six to eight months to allow monitoring of chats, the paper said, citing internal government documents.

I suspect RIM now have problems because BBM was 'fashionable' with the teens for ten minutes, (same as popular beat combo OneDirection in 2014, but in 5 years time 1D will be...) if RIM built all their markets on fashion + secure crypto, then handed out the keys to all & sundry, not just NSA, then how could that possibly fail as a business model?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon