Reply to post: Re: Re-boot

Making an entrance: Remote door-opening tech

Lee D Silver badge

Re: Re-boot

If you buy cheap junk, yes.

There's nothing stopping you fitting some serious hardware around even the cheapest of locks to hold it in though. London bars etc. can be adapted to strengthen even the crappiest of locks and, don't forget, your hinge is probably the weak point by that time anyway (especially if you have only two, one top, one bottom, leaving the point of greatest leverage unbolstered).

Personally, I'm quite impressed at basic locks. Even mag-locks are now quite serious. £20 can get you a 500kg holding force mag-lock that put a handful of watts. That's pretty impressive. And, yes, I have hung off one fitted to a metal gate at work to see if it was true. And, no, I don't think you'd open it short of cutting the power which generally requires cutting through an armoured cable or steel fence post anyway.

The problem with security, as always, is not to make the door unkickable, but to make it the least likely alternative. Anybody wanting in will get in, through a window, or just bringing a sledgehammer and making a hole in your side-alley (you could kick any half-decent brick wall down if you tried and had good boots). It's not about absolute security, it's about the effort and sometimes noise/suspicion required to do so. And, like car security, how long you'd be there trying to do it.

I doubt most people even have a front door that would stand up to a few good kicks anyway. The point is that doing that is risky, noisy, obvious and attention-attracting and might still leave you with an aching leg or splinters in your thigh. And so smashing a window is an easier way in.

There's a reason the police have those door-opening battering rams that can be operated from a standing position in one hit. But it's not because that's the best way to gain entry. It's because it gets entry into almost every house and can be repaired quite easily afterwards and there's much less chance of showering someone in glass shards.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon