Reply to post: Re: letter of the law

Planning to fly? Pour out your shampoo, toss your scissors, rename terrorist Wi-fi!

DocJames

Re: letter of the law

I don't think your second level is appropriate. Laws exist but are rarely needed and rarely are enforced - eg shoplifting is rare, given the denominator of number of people in shops. Staying with shoplifters, I'd be very surprised if 1 in 1000 or more were caught, let alone prosecuted. This doesn't mean that laws against shoplifting are bad: just that we (as a society) have more important issues than ensuring shoplifting is reduced. 1 in 1000 is reasonable for shoplifters; I'd not accept that for murder - and neither does society.

Whether you accept that for 38 in a 30 zone depends on your other values. I think speed limits should be better enforced, and probably universally reduced in residential areas to 20mph. [awaits flaming :-/ ] Justice surely depends on making sure that everyone who does 38 in the same context has the same risk of being nicked, rather than the absolutist statement that everyone should be caught - ideal but implausible.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon