Reply to post:

Preview redux: Microsoft ships new Windows 10 build with 7,000 changes

pirithous

It's not a "backdoor", it's a "maintenance port". Anyway, that functionality will only be accessible to internet connected devices. Disconnect from the Internet if you don't like it.

I disagree. If the totalitarian Microsoft can zap an app right of my personal computer without my permission, that's not okay. Nor is the walled garden future of Windows okay, and it's not okay with a myriad of developers either. Telling somebody to disconnect from the internet if they don't like it is not a very strong argument; in fact, it sounds really silly.

You can hide the icon. That's enough, isn't it? Anyway, you have to use it if you want updates.

No, that's not enough for me. I feel like Microsoft is engaging in totalitarianism and feudalism and is forcing people to be in the walled garden so the board members get their profit increase.

Microsoft can inspect it.

I believe Microsoft puts malicious features in their OS, so why would I want them inspecting it? I'm the one that wants to inspect it -- I don't trust Microsoft and neither do a lot of other people.

They're just collecting the frequency of key presses, for a simplified keyboard design.

How do you know this without seeing the source code?

It isn't deliberate.

Yes it is. It's pure feudalism. Foisting Microsoft accounts on users is Microsoft's way of getting their app store cut.

That's your fault for not using Linq.

That's really the best argument you could come up with? I make a comment about how the Modern version of Skype is a joke on the desktop, and I'm at fault for not using Linq?

Open standard filesystems don't belong on a closed proprietary system.

I never said they belonged on a proprietary system, although the functionality would be great and is something MS should consider. What my point was was that NTFS should get up to par with Linux filesystems, and it isn't.

But it's scalable - you can have a million records in there, and look-ups would be under 1 second! Also, think of the performance boosts when you run registry "cleaners".

Maybe the registry looks nice on paper, but in practice it's one of the most hellish monolithic parts of Windows, and /etc works just great and it's easy to find and edit things.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon