Reply to post: Not for me until they sort out the reliability

HBO shocks US pay TV world: We're down with OTT. Netflix says, 'Gee'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Not for me until they sort out the reliability

Conversely, I’ve dumped my OTT services and don’t even bother with iPlayer etc anymore. Why? Reliability just isn’t there.

Getting 2/3rds into a film on NetFlix or Amazon etc only for it to be stopped by the box/app/Internet connection bombing out for a few seconds, then having to painfully try and get it going again – usually from the beginning and fast-forward (SLOWLY) completely ruins the film watching experience. Not to mention the fact that receiving these programmes in HD is a black art as “sometimes it’s HD, sometimes it isn’t” – the content provider decides. iPlayer and the like are just as crap if you select the HD option, which on a 50” screen is the only realistic option.

I’m in my 30s, so have been brought-up on watching my programs pre-recorded on a TiVo or disc, so the experience is, 99.9% of the time, a faultless experience. Perhaps the younger generations who stick a film on the ‘big telly’, then sit tw@tting about on Facebook with their tablet or smartphone don’t really notice the problems of OTT.

Pass me the VHS remote.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon