Reply to post: Any fule kno that

Flies WANT beer booze and now we know why - yeast

Chris G

Any fule kno that

I used to do a bit of home brewing, mostly wines and never really got deeply into it ( just enough to drink). I learned from a couple of books from the local library in pre- internet days but if you go on to almost any home brewing forum much of the talk is about different yeast mixes and how much they affect the qualities of beers and wines, in addition there are many other bugs that are essential to particular brews. They work with the yeast/s to produce various effects.

Some of the loder wine and beer regions guard their yeasts fanatically as do cheesemakers with some of the different microbes that produce some of the excellent cheeses.

Stilton is as far as I remember the result of us stealing Penecillium Roquefortii from the French, a mold peculiar to the caves at the village of Roqefort.

Talk of all this reminds me, I have a chunk of Flores des cueva a strong hard cheese made from ewes milk, comes in a wooden box that always fails to conceal its piquance, I think I may have to open a bottle of Riber del Duero Syrah that has been calling to me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon