Reply to post:

One Windows? How does that work... and WTF is a Universal App?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Linux is based on a legacy monolithic kernel design - everything bolted together at compilation time. Windows is based on a more advanced hybrid microkernel model - meaning that kernel and other modules (not just drivers) can be loaded and unloaded dynamically.

Ooooh, lots of fun words to play with. Quite a lot of NLP hiding in there, so let me unpick this.

"a LEGACY monolithic kernel" - BS. If you want legacy, see how long EDLIN.EXE was carried in Windows. Secondly, I started using Linux when it still came on 14 floppies as Slackware and yes, in those days you have to compile a bespoke kernel. However, it's actually a very long time ago I compiled my last because it's all about runtime insertion of modules now. It appears your knowledge of Linux is, umm, a tiny bit out of date.

"Windows is based on a more advanced hybrid microkernel model" - "more advanced" is clear BS. The day MS leads the IT field in anything but the novelty of its security leaks I'll have a party. MS never leads, it always follows and copies. It has to, because every time it *cough* "innovates" *cough* it does so in ways that are simply disastrous, and in ways that prevent rollback. I'm also not so convinced about all this "dynamic" stuff you talk about, no doubt a word the marketing department insisted you put in there. Windows is still the OS that gave us the reboot to fix it all, and frankly, I don't think you've caught all the memory leaks yet or you wouldn't need Patch Tuesday.

Last but not least "hybrid"? Trying to surf along on the eco wave? Hybrid of what? All I can think of is incompetence and greed, but I don't think you meant that.

Again a nice bit of word play - all talk and no substance. We're getting a lot of that lately, which is a compliment for The Register IMHO as it appears people have been specifically tasked to talk up MS here. I really feel sorry for you. Well, a few seconds that is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon