Reply to post: Streaming is good for music that does not deserve hard drive space

CURSE YOU, 'streaming' music services! I want a bloody CD

Hans 1
Pint

Streaming is good for music that does not deserve hard drive space

So, I have my entire music collection, 160Gb, over 1000 artists stored on a hard drive, some 1Gb of iTunes stuff, some of which (3 or 4 albums) is still DRM'd. I cannot get the iTunes+ version because I have moved countries - I need to get a cc from a bank in the country where I was to be able to get the iTunes+ version. That hurt, I have since bought the CD's second hand and ripped them ...

My collection spans quite a few genres ... ;-) ... from 60's to 2000's and a few 2010+. Mainly Rock, Punk, New York hardcore (not electronic hardcore), grind, classical, grunge, britpop ...

I spent something like 2 or 3 months ripping cd's on three computers simultaneously, and have a lot of my stuff in flac/alac. There simply is no point listening to mp3's of Mozart, you need lossless. I have three hd's hooked up on the network (main, backup, backup of backup),

One of the most striking experiences was when I listened to the first album of Keane, I got the iTunes+ version ... some years later I heard the CD at a mates and thought, shit, the music sounded better, though my hifi system was better ... I got the CD (again on the cheap) and I hear a great difference.

I have spotify which I use to discover new music, if I really like it I buy the CD on the cheap and rip to the computer. I also discover new music with Rhythmbox, I ordered two albums (CD's) from a German band (Früchte des Zorns) - good old mailorder style. I have absolutely no problem paying full retail price for small indy bands that do interesting stuff. You can get the mp3 for free ...

I have quite some stuff that will never end up on the streaming services, like old, real indy 90's stuff from the UK, mail order anybody ? Gould olde tymes! I have the vinyl and a decent record player.

I do not have 2000 quid hifi shit, I simply have two Yamaha MSP5 studio monitors, I get the sound the guyz heard when they recorded - that is what I like doing, thought I would share. YMMV

The beer's on me. ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon