Reply to post: Smartphones run for days, no need for "ancient Nokia" for better standby time

Be your own Big Brother: Keeping an eye on Mum and Dad

DougS Silver badge

Smartphones run for days, no need for "ancient Nokia" for better standby time

The reason most of us find a smartphone needs a nightly charge is because we use them all the time, and for much more than just calling. If the ancient Nokia lasts for days, the smartphone would too, because they last a long time in standby. Go look at the specs for standby time on what you have, you might think it is fantasy but it is "standby" time, i.e. you aren't touching it at all (and it assumes a strong cellular signal, if you have only a couple bars at home you'll do worse, naturally)

This was brought home for me a few weeks back when I accidentally left my phone at home on a Saturday when I was with friends from 7:30 AM until past midnight. When I returned I found my iPhone 5 sitting on the edge of the bed where I'd left it, with a 93% charge. Along with a couple missed calls and nearly 300 messages (the bulk from my friends teasing me about forgetting my phone...probably shouldn't have told them!)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019