Reply to post: Yawn....

BT claims almost-gigabit connections over COPPER WIRE

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Yawn....

Given BT's track record, this will take many years to become reality and it wont benefit many of us who have longer lines than used in their optimal lab conditions.

I was previously using BT Infinity's up to 76Mb FTTC service, but in reality I was only ever able to achieve anything from 28Mb to 42Mb download speed with the upload speed varying between 6Mb to 8Mb. It changed depending on how long it was since the last Openreach technician sorted out the regularly corroding joints and on weather conditions. Unfortunately I had a mostly aluminium line from somewhere between 500-600 meters in length with numerous joints, so there was no way I'd ever get the maximum 76Mb. Even with the new technology BT is looking at, I highly doubt it would help improve those in my situation. However, it is great news for those with a clean copper line with few joints, living very close to their Openreach fibre cabinet.

The good news is, I am lucky enough to have an alternative option in the form of Virgin Media, who have provided a fresh new line to my home from their cabinet about 100m away.

I suppose I'll have to wait until BT are able to provide FTTH before I can consider them again as a viable alternative in the future.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon