Reply to post: Re: ok, but seriously...

'Kim Kardashian snaps naked selfies with a BLACKBERRY'. *Twitterati gasps*

dan1980

Re: ok, but seriously...

@zen1

"What the hell has she done to deserve all the notoriety she gets?"

I don't know about deserve but what she has done is to be relevant to scads of people*. Exactly how she has done this and why they find her relevant and not someone else is beyond me but I suspect it is because she has an impeccably-managed public image.

I don't mean that she is squeaky-clean and the very picture of the god-fearing, pie-eating American girl, because that's not necessarily what people want. Her image appears to be tailored and presented so that people in her target audience/market want to see her and hear from her and read about her. They want to know what she's doing, where she's doing it, who she's doing it with and what she's wearing while she's doing it.

Strangely, they even want to know what she thinks.

Again, it's a bit of a mystery to me but it's clear that she, and her managers and cadre of helpers, all work very hard to make it work. And, whatever anyone's opinion of her general level of intelligence, she is very, very savvy so far as playing this game is concerned. Whatever her head start and whatever her talents, she has made use of them to become one of the most popular 'celebrities' in the world and is paid to do the right things, drink the right drinks, stand in the right places, and wear the right clothes.

Paris Hilton may have been the (modern) pace-setter for this but Ms Kardashian has overtaken her and simply does it better than Paris ever did. Barring her omnipresence, I certainly find her far less annoying than Ms Hilton.

* - Mostly teenage girls and young women, but those are lucrative markets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon