Reply to post: Re: Meeeh

'Windows 9' LEAK: Microsoft's playing catchup with Linux

h4rm0ny

Re: Meeeh

>>"Your argument thus far has been "I, h4rm0ny, believe that the Start Screen is superior and new. Because I, h4rm0ny believe it is superior, and because it is new, everyone else should have the choice os using what they prefer removed from them and be forced to use what I, h4rm0ny, believe to be superior"

I've given numerous reasons why the Start Screen is better here and elsewhere and not one of them has been "because I believe so", I've talked about the number of programs commonly used, I've talked about mouse movements. None of my arguments have been subjective, all have been on direct demonstrable facts. You can argue with the reasoning if you wish, but you cannot legitimately claim that I have ever fallen back to an argument of "because I say so".

As to my "dictating" as you said, my post began "I for one could do without..." and stated I would prefer we kept the Start Screen that's the closest you'll find to me saying other people should not have a choice. Where is your angry response to all those people saying the Start Screen should be killed with fire or removed forever? Your angry post to me is because of my arguing the merits of the Start Screen. If I had argued for its obliteration you wouldn't have attacked me for 'setting my opinion up above other people's.' Don't pretend otherwise because there are countless posts here doing exactly that you ignore or mod up, because they share your preference.

I've long said the chief usability advantage of the Start Menu is familiarity. You'll find I never dispute with people when they say it's easier to stick with what you know. My position is that this is not an argument that something is better in itself and that this attitude is a block to improvement.

>>"How the metric fuck is that not personal? Calling you out for being a self-centered jackass isn't remotely out of line"

It's quite a lot out of line, actually. Calling me names carries no actual weight as an argument. It's just you venting. And as I pointed out, it's a gross double-standard as there are far more posts on El Reg doing little more than insisting the Start Menu should be obliterated that you ignore and with far less objective reasoning given than my arguments.

>>"when you've offered quite literally nothing as argumentation that isn't personal except the assertion "newer = better"

More strawmen. I invite you to find anywhere I have said that something is better because it is newer. And if you can't, how about an apology for all the personal insults and strawmanning my position? If you have intellectual honesty you will check and accept that I have never made such an argument. What I have done on occasion is criticise wanting to stick with something just because it is familiar and that's a very different thing and also often a reasonable criticism.

>>"So no, this one's on you. You made it personal from the outset by offering nothing except "I like it so fuck you all, you don't deserve choice" as an argument"

I think you don't understand the purpose of quote marks. I never said anything like that and you can only barely twist what I have said (I don't want to see the Start Menu back, the Start Screen is better) into "fuck you all, you don't deserve choice" with considerable effort.

>>"Because you're nobody"

:D See, if I post something like 'people who use more than 20 programs on a desktop computer routinely are a tiny minority and you can easily fit 20 programs on the Start Screen, thus meaning no menu navigation, just flat access, whereas even pinning things to the Start Menu you only get a dozen tops and thus have to navigate...' Well then you could respond by saying something like 'No, if I want more programs I could just pin them to the Desktop itself as shortcuts' and then you would be making an actual counter-argument. (Though a bad one as you'd now just be recreating the Start Screen on your desktop without the advanced features of it). But at least it would be an argument. But the above is just personal insult and an attack on a position I never made. Again, find anywhere in my posts at all, where I have argued something is better because I believe it so. I back up everything.

So again, stop making it personal and either actually engage in argument or stop strawmanning me. And less anger would be helpful also.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon