Reply to post: Re: Meeeh

'Windows 9' LEAK: Microsoft's playing catchup with Linux

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Meeeh

How did you discover double-clicking did something? How did you discover holding down the mouse button on a window bar and dragging moved the window around?

Sigh, strawman...

In program manager, I clicked it once - it didn't work. Clicked twice... tada! Dragging the title bar for some reason was obvious to me. I had never seen or used a GUI before, but I read that windows can be moved about and sized - figuring out how to do it wasn't difficult.

Now, mouse/finger gestures just aren't obvious, unless you randomly drag/stroke until something happens? They might be cool for extra functionality, or when there's already a well established method to perform the same task.

Perhaps I'm just thicker than the average Windows grunt but even though, until recently, I've been developing GUI apps since 1992/3 (for Win3.0) I couldn't figure out how to get rid of metro apps (or shutdown) without slamming every key until something happened. Yep, I've been out-smarted by Windows.

If my software required some special knowledge for basic operations, it would get uninstalled and they'd move on to competing products.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon