Reply to post: Re: OnePlus One

Quit drooling, fanbois - haven't you SEEN what the iPhone 6 costs?

h4rm0ny

Re: OnePlus One

>>"i have a fiat 500, its got doors, wheels, seats is red & italian designed & manufactured. Its just as good as a Ferrari or Maserati but costs just a fraction of their cost. I can't think why anyone would spend any more on something that does essentially the same"

The funny thing is that I suspect the above is meant to sound facetious and shoot down comparisons between the iPhone and its competitors. But it does the opposite. Why would you pay so much more for something that does essentially the same thing? Branding is the chief answer in your analogy.

I have a Lumia 820. IIRC, it cost me about £200 SIM-free when I bought it a couple of years ago. It does everything I need and does it well - voice, txt, email, nutritional apps, MS Office, great browser and runs very quickly. Nice interface too. I'm not saying the iPhone isn't worthwhile - as I wrote elsewhere, the market decides what something should be priced at. But I am saying that the value-add most people get from it is less about capability and more about the cachet of owning one. Or for those with a high disposable income so that the cost becomes inconsequential, based on choice of OS. But those are the two primary groups as I see it - people who want it because it's trendy and people who have so much money that paying a couple of hundred more for small differences is not an issue.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon