Reply to post: Re: Bring your wallet

Concerning VMware’s vCloud Air: It's all about choice

Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Bring your wallet

VCAC is a pain in the ASCII...but it's still easier than System Center anything. I look at VCAC the same way I look at social democracy as a means of political and economic organisation: it's shite, but it's far less shite than any of the alternatives on offer.

As for the "unreasonable price"...I expect that to come down. VMware is competing against itself in that there are service providers around the world standing up VMware clouds...and good cloudstack stuff on the horizon that I can't discuss (NDAs) that basically let you do what vCHS can do, but with your VMs going local VMware --> Openstack cloud -->local VMware.

Right now, VMware is getting their legs, but they've got what is probably the easiest to use and best option on the market. Competition will force the price down. I'm not convinced that competition can make other vendors create an easier to use product.

I am convinced that the VCAC guys and the Pivotal guys will get together to make orchestration stuff for VMware that is easier to use.

For now - and for the forseeable future - VMware is the best option on the table. I eagerly await a new player with innovations in ease of use that will force VMware to double-time the end-user portion of the equation. Maybe next cycle...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon