Reply to post: Re: Says it is for right handers only

Apple's SNEAKY plan: COPY ANDROID. Hello iPhone 6, Watch

heyrick Silver badge

Re: Says it is for right handers only

"Do lefties wear girls blouses too?" - some might. I don't.

"I really hope they don't play a piano, all the keys being in the wrong place for lefties." - well, as far as I know, nobody has produced a backwards piano so it is hard to tell if it would be more appropriate. Don't you kind of need both hands to play a piano?

I did string up my guitar back to front, but, well, I suck either way.

"Do they insist on driving a lefthand drive car on the other side of the road?" - I live in France so, that's already been sorted.

More realistically, some things are extremely difficult for left handed people. Not because they should be, but because objects designed to ergonomically favour right handed people has a tendency to make the device correspondingly less useful for us lefties. By way of example, consider a pair of scissors. Try imagining those ones with the nice shaped handles that fit perfectly into your hand. Now think of how awful it would be to hold them with your left hand. You will find that "We have two hands, use them." does not apply for the majority of people, just as we can write with one hand but scrawl (just) with the other. Likewise for scissors. It is certainly possible to cut with either hand, but if you want accuracy and care, most people will need to use their dominant hand. When I buy scissors, I buy ones with basic rounded handles that everybody can use.

Now consider a tin opener. After years of what feels like an incredibly awkward action, I gave in and bought an electric tin opener.

"Yes, I'm left handed" - please tell me you're not one of those people that turns a page 90 degrees and writes towards yourself. I mostly taught myself to write (having missed the early fundamentals for reasons too long/boring to explain here) and so, thankfully, I was saved from being taught to write in what appears to be the most ass-backward way imaginable. I simply rotate my entire hand about ten degrees counter-clockwise (so as not to drag my hand through what I have written) and then I write across a page.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon