Reply to post: Bling

Apple's Watch is basically electric perfume

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Bling

"The brand is the key differentiator now, making it very much like the perfume industry."

Possibly more like the wristwatch industry?

In the days before quartz regulated watches I bought an expensive self-wind Omega Seamaster Cosmic. The need was for something that would reliably remind me of the day and date when the fog of 24/7 working descended. Good jewellers still sell the same model and year, second-hand, for about £1K.

Unfortunately it has now become too expensive to have it repaired regularly at over £200 a shot - and is reserved for rare formal "dress" occasions. A plastic electronic watch from the charity shop rummage box cost £2 - and fitting a new battery myself was cheap too.

If I have a new leather strap fitted then the jeweller sees "Omega" - and charges £25 for exactly the same strap that would be at most £10 for the plastic watch. No doubt it would probably be even cheaper to buy a new complete plastic watch.

My Omega was never as accurate as I had expected - and my cheap quartz one beats it hands down.

A firm on the Isle of Man hand-crafts very expensive mechanical wristwatches - at least an order of magnitude more expensive than an Omega. The company owner was interviewed on the radio. He said that good as they were - if you wanted accuracy over a reasonable period then a cheap quartz watch was a better bet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019