Reply to post: Re: >reasonable (by Apple standards)

Apple's SNEAKY plan: COPY ANDROID. Hello iPhone 6, Watch

Tony Paulazzo

Re: >reasonable (by Apple standards)

Nexus 5 ... its battery-guzzling ways

Lower brightness on screen, advanced wifi - switch off when phone sleeping (altho I have unlimited 3g internet allowance), push apps only every four hours or so (facebook, email, twitter etc), check battery to see worst offending apps - delete 'em if poss, do you need gps on all the time, bluetooth, NFC? disable when/if not required (Android will still poll rough location from transmitters).

I actually downloaded battery doctor just to see what was the worst battery draining problems (then uninstalled it), deleted the twitter app (I barely use it - get my twitter feed thru Flipboard, but it was running all the time).

The Facebook Messenger app is also a battery killer and invasive with what it can do to your phone, kill it with fire. I deleted it and the Facebook app, turns out in all the notifications it gave me, not one was a life or death situation that required my immediate attention, I just use mobile facebook on my browser.

I now get (assuming not many phone calls), a little over two days battery use with my Nexus 5, and that's still with Malwarebytes, Silence Premium (only allows family calls thru at night) plus a few other necessary apps running all the time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019