Reply to post: Re: Saturation

FCC boss Wheeler: Lack of broadband choice is screwing Americans

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Saturation

No, it is YOU who don't understand networking. You using your bandwidth doesn't cost the ISP anything, but everyone using their bandwidth sure as heck would, because networks are designed and built oversubscribed. If you want everyone to be able to max it out all at the same time there would be major upgrades required, and someone has to pay for those. They certainly couldn't be paid for at the prices people pay for broadband today.

I know the "I want unlimited usage" folks who keep downvoting me don't want to hear it, but that's how the real world works. That's how the telephone network was built, that's how the cellular network was built, and that's how ISPs are built. Why do you think you get brownouts on really hot days? Because the electrical grid wasn't built to deliver anywhere near the amount of power required for everyone to turn on everything they own at the same time - it can't even handle everyone having their AC on at the same time!

If everyone tried to max out their connection 24x7 you'd be lucky to get a tenth of your rated speed, and might get less. If you want guaranteed bandwidth, i.e. 25 Mbps that is guaranteed to always deliver 25 Mbps to you and you can use it 24x7 if you want, go ask your ISP for a quote. I dare you. It will not cost $50, nowhere near that amount, that I can assure you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon