Reply to post: Re: US is far behind the technology curve in IT Infrastructure

FCC boss Wheeler: Lack of broadband choice is screwing Americans

theblackhand

Re: US is far behind the technology curve in IT Infrastructure

OK, I'll debate it.... North America moves the second largest amount of data behind AP and almost 1/3 of the total traffic which looks OK based on traffic volume/population.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visual-networking-index-vni/VNI_Hyperconnectivity_WP.html

The reason for poor consumer Internet speeds is lack of competition or any sensible alternative (i.e. BT OpenReach in the UK to allow multiple competitors on a common infrastructure) in a large country where the technical limitations (i.e. distance) of consumer technologies such as xDSL or 3/4G make the provision of high speed Internet challenging.

Address the competition issue so that consumers have real choice (not just two shades of the same expensive crap) and things will improve. Please don't tie it in with the net neutrality debate - net neutrality is hard (as a network guy you want to be able to classify traffic to provides different levels of service) while the telco competition issue is clear.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon