Reply to post: All that safety...

Finally, a USEFUL smart device: Intel boffins cook up gyro-magneto-'puter bike helmet

Anonymous Custard

All that safety...

...and yet they still include the music and calls stuff, thus ruining it? I know for a certain category it would be a key selling point, but from experience both as a cyclist and a pedestrian, a major reason for collisions between the two (or with cars) is usually one or other (or occasionally both) being so engrossed or deafened by the call/music respectively that they're not aware of the surroundings that they are navigating through.

The number of times I've been cycling along and had some schoolzombie being led by the nose by their phone step out in front of me is depressingly large (and I've witnessed it happening at least 3 times with them stepping off a kerb into the road without realising they were doing so, once almost ending up in an RTA with a car).

I would also wonder about whether it would have been better to include some kind of head/neck airbag system, probably coupled with a sensor to confirm that the thing is actually being worn in case of sudden acceleration, to differentiate between a collision and it just getting dropped.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon