Reply to post: Re: Where do I begin?

Britain's housing crisis: What are we going to do about it?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Where do I begin?

Dunno about New Yourk City, but as far as UK is concerned it is spot on.

Current planning regulations are designed 100% to ensure that the remnants of the middle and working classes (whatever 's left of them) remain where they belong. The attitude that bore the 1947 act is alive and kicking.

If you own a 2M+ property outside London (and a few banker cities like St Albans where the prole/non-prole border is in the 3-4M now) you can tear it down, rebuild it, change it and do anything you like to it. The only thing the planning people will ask is "how would you like it sir, with coffee or with ice cubes".

If, however, you are unfortunate to own one of those 120-400K middle class hideously fugly cubes any planning application that will make your cube look different from the one down the road will be bounced. That is what the planning code says and that is what it enshrines - that the middle class (actually paying tax) scum does not jump over its statute.

This is why things like the regeneration of the city centers as it has happened in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, etc can never ever happen in Brittain. There shall never be individuality unless you are in the 2M+ band - proles do not deserve one. There shall never be character unless you are in the 2M+ band - proles do not deserve one.

Signed - sincerely, someone who has had to modify a planning application which would have made my house into something nice, comfortable and distinctly European so it looks exactly like the fugly Emmerdale cube next door. And I now know my prole place in life.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon