Reply to post: Is Abandoning the Internet “The Next Big Thing”?

Why has the web gone to hell? Market chaos and HUMAN NATURE

Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance

Is Abandoning the Internet “The Next Big Thing”?

The Internet Slum, by John Walker:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/netslum/

=========================================

Donald Knuth, who's always at least a decade ahead of everybody else, abandoned E-mail on January 1st, 1990, saying “Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of things.”

==========================================

Posted 10 years ago and well worth a read as it's pertinent to the general discussion.

He finishes up:

============================================

I'm not ready to abandon the Internet, at least not right away. But I'm thinking about it, and I suspect I'm not alone. Those who have already abandoned it are, by that very choice, neither publishing Web pages nor posting messages about it; they are silent, visible only by their absence from the online community. Will early adopters of the Internet, who are in the best position to compare what it is today with what they connected to years ago, become early opters-out? Me, I'm keeping an eye on this trend—it could just be the next big thing.

===============================================

See also:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/digital-imprimatur/

How big brother and big media can put the Internet genie back in the bottle.

=====================================

Over the last two years I have become deeply and increasingly pessimistic about the future of liberty and freedom of speech, particularly in regard to the Internet. This is a complete reversal of the almost unbounded optimism I felt during the 1994–1999 period when public access to the Internet burgeoned and innovative new forms of communication appeared in rapid succession. In that epoch I was firmly convinced that universal access to the Internet would provide a countervailing force against the centralisation and concentration in government and the mass media which act to constrain freedom of expression and unrestricted access to information. Further, the Internet, properly used, could actually roll back government and corporate encroachment on individual freedom by allowing information to flow past the barriers erected by totalitarian or authoritarian governments and around the gatekeepers of the mainstream media.

======================================

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon