Reply to post:

Is it an iPad? Is it a MacBook Air? No, it's a Surface Pro 3

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I am a consultant and travel a lot for work, I have used a Surface, and I am not impressed at all. The need for a keyboard and mouse for most work tasks just makes it a very expensive laptop. The touch interface is hardly ever used except for non work related stuff. I don't see how anyone can justify the price when it will be used exactly like a laptop 99% of the time.

Yes there are a minority of people who will use the touch interface, but the vast majority of people sit down at a desk (or on the sofa) and use it exactly like a much cheaper laptop.

I use an iPad outside work, not because it is lighter, but because the interface is 100% designed for touch and my 4 year old can use it, I definitely can't say the same for a Surface when I see adults struggling to use it. Even with a Surface I still use an iPad outside work.

All these Surface articles talk about using a single device rather than a laptop/iPad combo, but the fatal flaw in that argument is that in most cases the employer buys the laptop and the employee buys the iPad, I don't see too many employers rushing to spend a fortune on a Surface to save their employee from buying an iPad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon