Reply to post: Broadband, Fiber Optics and ISP's & Cancelations

Brits stung for up to £625 when they try to cancel broadband

freebsd124
Thumb Up

Broadband, Fiber Optics and ISP's & Cancelations

It still amazes me that ISP's still charging line rental. Thats something we've done away with for a long time. I got fiber optic (100/100MBit/s) 14/14MBytes/s on a fair use policy. I can cancel on a monthly basis, without being charged!!!!

I'm in the proces of getting 500/500MBits/s (about 50MBytes/s up and down)

The sort of practice Comcast and UK's ISP doing would be punished severely here in the netherlands.

My ISP is xs4all.nl (formerly demon.nl).

The banks here work different; if a ISP would charge me unjustified, I myself, can reverse that thru my bank, no questions asked.

If they would send a collection agency, hard luck for them, because collection agencies have no "legal" status up here, although a lot of people are NOT aware of that.

Obviously, a lot comes down to infrastructure which, considering the size of the Netherlands, is very good.

Where I live the whole county is connected to fiber optics, irrespective whether people are using it or not, we all got fiber optics into our houses and apartments. Its up to the owner of the house and/or apartments to have it connected thru a contract with a ISP of their choice.

From every town/village its then connected to a backbone, so I got full speed 24/7 365 days a year

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon