Reply to post: Thoughts from a mere user ...

The internet just BROKE under its own weight – we explain how

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Thoughts from a mere user ...

When my ISP announced that they were IPv6 compliant and were about to allocate me a shed load of IPv6 addresses, but only one IPv4 because they were nearly extinct, I read up about all the "advantages" that IPv6 was supposed to offer me and started getting worried. Then the ISP started writing about how IPv6 "just worked" through their routers, and those who adopted it would never have to worry about internet connectivity ever again (OK I paraphrase them a bit in order to provide a little plausible deniability). And my worry was confirmed.

It was compounded when reading about a big ISP that decided to go perfurkling around all their customers' LANs looking for something or other. I honestly can't remember what the issue was, it was just the idea that they thought it a reasonable thing to do that worried me. So if they are prepared to do that through a specially inserted back door in the routers they provide for their customers, what would happen when everybody can go on a hunt through everybody else's LANs through the front door? Just think of the usual culprits with three and four letter acronyms instead of names! I am sufficiently worried about the lack of protection that will be caused by this stupidity on the part of the powers that be, that I will probably be re-introducing air gapped "sneakernet" systems in the near future. That will be a bloody nuisance, especially where connectivity has been routine. For me, an unreformed IPv6 is going to kill the internet.

No, I haven't got anything to hide, I just don't like an audience 24/7. That's why this is AC.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon