Reply to post: Re: Jolly good work.

London cops cuff 20-year-old man for unblocking blocked websites

MrXavia

Re: Jolly good work.

`'Oh please, not that nonsense again; am I the only poster on these forums who has heard of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, or the DMCA? Copyright violation has been a crime in the UK since 1 January 1989, and in the US since sometime in 2000..."

I guess you have never read the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 then?

Edit: and the DMCA is a US law, does not apply to UK

Last time I read it,Copyright Infringement was a Civil offence,

it is only criminal when it causes significant harm to the copyright holder (I can't be bothered to go find the act and copy the relevant passages right now)

Edit: I looked it up, read here.. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/part/I/chapter/VI section 107 for what IS a criminal offence.

But the law is good, it is set out to protect copyright holders from organised infringement, but also not criminalise minor infringers. I.E. bootleggers get nicked because they cause losses and make money, sharing with a few friends is less of a worry.

The problem is that the internet has meant a single person can easily cause severe harm by sharing something to thousands of people for no effort..

What I suspect in this case, will be the proxy is set up specifically to give access to these blocked sites, and either makes money via Advertising or charges for access...

Although I still cannot figure out what crime he has committed...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon