Reply to post: Re: Modern intelligence is highly overrated

Your fitness tracker is a SNITCH says Symantec

dan1980

Re: Modern intelligence is highly overrated

@AC

It's not about things being un-crackable. As I tell people, if someone wants to get access to your data or your system badly enough then you can't really stop them.

For the average person, it's just about it being difficult enough to protect yourself from casual intrusions. If someone wants to track you - and specifically you - through your fitness tracker then they will. But then, if you're someone who warrants that kind of attention then you probably wouldn't be using one of these things anyway.

No one truly expects hardened, state-secret-level, security on a Bluetooth fitness bangle, but I think it's reasonable to expect that the data that you send back and forward would secured enough that you couldn't defeat it with an off-the-shelf single-board PC and some scripting.

Like I said - 'fit for purpose'. The data isn't super sensitive and you have the option to wear the device or not - you don't have to keep it on 24/7. For the purpose it is there for, a moderate level of encryption and security-mindedness is warranted and should be expected.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon