Reply to post: Re: Here's an idea. (Human power)

Adam Afriyie MP: Smart meters are NOT so smart

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Here's an idea. (Human power)

@David Lawrence "The latter is a total non-problem unless you are so lazy you can't be arsed to even provide a meter reading"

Due to a disability i cant get across the garden to the Gas meter, I would like a smart meter for this reason so that so i can get readings BUT the utility company wont supply one and where the meter is located is outside away from power (and my flat) so if it needs power they wont be able to fit one anyway, my electricity meter is "smart!"

i would like meters that report to me internally on a real time basis on a local network (using high security and encryption) so i could access stats on any device on the network, but only reports to the company preferably only Monthly not hourly or more often as the amount of data that this gives the Utility company about my lifestyle is more than i am comfortable with. i also don't want the utility company to have remote control of the meter. it has been Proved that the security is so non existent or so poor that an attacker can take control of and shut down supply of individual meters or all meters of the same type in a geographical location.

a simple pulse block and a transmitter should upgrade my existing meter without having to change the whole meter. and if connected to something like openenergymonitor.org or open HAB, i get all the data to control my usage (if i want) without the utility company having it. Then I would just need a routine writing on the local server to take the data once a month and securely submit it to the utility suppliers website so no manual interaction needed.( by me or the utility company) No estimated bills and no new expensive, insecure, intrusive smart meter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon