Reply to post: New binary state?

Robot cars to hit Blighty in 2015

Sealand

New binary state?

> AllowOvertake = Hey, why not

You, sir, may just have defined a new input state for CMOS electronics.

Back to the good ol' days I was working with CMOS electronics for a living. Outputs of a logic chip can of course be true or false, and then they may be tri-stated/inactive. CMOS inputs need to be high or low and if unused, have to be tied to one or the other. If you forget, they decide for themselves. And they change their mind about it, too.

I remember having prepared a video transmission system with a new prototype plug-in module I had designed and built using Veroboard. Everything worked and we were ready for a demonstration. 15 minutes before the customer arrived, we started getting bit errors, and it deteriorated fast until the transmission stopped completely. We didn't get the system working any more that day.

Some days later I found the problem. A 'reset' input on a CMOS chip was left floating. It had worked for several weeks until on that particular day it entered "Hey, why not" state and started resetting the system at random, ultimately settling in the active state.

Once that tiny bug was fixed, the system performed flawlessly for many years ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon