Reply to post: Re: True, but

Famous 'Dish' radio telescope to be emptied in budget crisis: CSIRO

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: True, but

They are shutting these and other CSIRO facilities because they are sacking the scientists who run and work in them not because they are obsolete. CSIRO peaked in the 1980's with over 8500 staff, when I started at CSIRO (3.5 years ago) there where 6500 people working there by the end of next year there will be fewer than 5000 - it's budget will be less than 50% of what Victorians spend every year at the pokies and less than 0.25% of the nations federal budget.

CSIRO will be instructed by the minister to sell the land that the facilities are on rather than develop them into something that could generate revenue to ensure that CSIRO can never be self sufficient. We are witnessing is the gradual shutting of the largest independent research organisation in Australia setup to be impartial, ensure all those in parliament have the facts they require to build good consistent policy and to work towards improving the lives of Australians.

I intend to work as hard as I can while the doors are open, to spend every last cent as wisely as possible and to take every opportunity that CSIRO presents me to make as positive a difference as I can for Australia because once CSIRO is gone there is no way it's coming back.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon