Reply to post: Re: I have to defend the police here...

Yorkshire cops fail to grasp principle behind BT Fon Wi-Fi network

Khaptain Silver badge

Re: I have to defend the police here...

>Instead of telling us what hey should have done tell us how they should have done it. How exactly were the police to have established more facts?

I am not a policeman so i do not know their standard procedures but I would hazard a guess at the following possibilites for fact finding

* Maybe a quick call to the local ISPs/Telcos to determine if any unusal activity had been recorded recently.. 10 minute call at most.

* Checking their own database for recent calls of the same nature, thereby establishing the possibility of a neighbourhood (local) hacker/hacker group. 10 minutes if you take your time

* Verifying if the neighbourhood uses the FON network or not.. ( Hint this one is quite important). The ISP or Telco could easilly have provided this information. 10 mins again if you take your time

Total 30 mins at most, including the tea-break and google search for local ISP/Telco number

None of the above require any technical capacity other than being able to type or use a phone, which I believe that most of the police are capable of doing. It would at least have provided a basis upon which they could have made the decision to continue or not with a more thourough investigation.

But no, instead some clever bugger decided to type up a nice letter......which probably took 1/2 day + the added cost of paper, envelopes, printers, ink etc... and all to achieve nothing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon