Reply to post: Re: Typing texts at the wheel is incredibly dangerous

Banning handheld phone use by drivers had NO effect on accident rate - study

Mike Bell

Re: Typing texts at the wheel is incredibly dangerous

"Whether it is a phone, a sandwich or a child in the backseat....taking your eyes off the road for any reason is a distraction and *could* be a contributing factor in an accident"

Yes. We have dashboards as well. Guess what? You look at them. I'll bet that even *you* have looked at your dashboard from time to time. You want to get rid of them? Spare me the sanctimonious lecture, please.

"Do us all a favor, get a big red cross sticker and place it on your front and rear bumber so the rest of us can spot you and avoid you at all costs. The moment you relax on the motorway is the moment your brain switches off and that's when the huge pile ups happen. Driving (even on the motorway) SHOULD be tiring because you should be concentrating hard."

There would be an awful lot of big red cross stickers on the motorway crying wolf in your happy little world. Because many people know how to drive safely without sitting rigid in front of the wheel saying 'shut up, shut up, I need both hands right here'.

NB, I've been driving for more than 30 years and I've never had an accident. I've avoided plenty, though, by being aware of my surroundings.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019