Reply to post: Re: Oh dear

Japan makes Prius palatable with road map to hydrogen cars

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Oh dear

I can believe that, but are you really suggesting renewable electricity will be so cheap - in spite of demand for it just as electricity - that a large quantity of hydrogen, produced at low-ish efficiency by electrolysis, will be available for a hydrogen economy ( or synthesised methane economy if you like) at a reasonable price ?

It would certainly require very cheap electricity, produced far enough away from the vehicles being fueled that the most-economic options would be high-voltage DC transmission and/or shipment of synthesized hydrocarbons. (I'd go with propane myself for the latter, since it has some transportation advantages over methane if you don't already have a pipeline available, there's a widespread distribution network and market for it, and it's easy to run existing internal-combustion engines on it.)

So nuclear, stuff that's geographically constrained like geothermal, and specialty projects like those big solar-thermal plants in the Sahara that people are always dreaming about.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon