Reply to post: Re: js and pdf proprietary extension, @big_D

Panic like it's 1999: Microsoft Office macro viruses are BACK

h4rm0ny

Re: js and pdf proprietary extension, @big_D

>>"I see that you confuse the standard of PDF 1.0--1.7 with some proprietary inclusions for Adobe Acobrat. No, JavaScript is not a part of generally accepted PDF ISO standard!"

I don't think any recipient of an email attachment is going to know whether RandomFile.pdf is some sub-set of the general PDF files that isn't a risk or if it's not. That's the scenario that you gave when you put it on a list with text files, et al. that you were happier to receive as email attachments.

>>>>And ODF has a macro language as well...

>>Yes it does, it is defaulted to not being active, moreover, a user is warned multiple times, and I was referring to not only this...

It's the same as in MS Office. I just created a macro in Libre Office, saved it as part of the document then re-opened after restarting the program. I got a message saying the document contained macros and that this could be dangerous. I clicked "ok" and then I enabled macros. Only difference in MS Office that I see is that it highlights at the top that macros are disabled under the heading: "Security Warning" and puts the option to enable it there under that. In LibreOffice I have to go into a menu to do it and there isn't a message about security.

I don't see either way as significantly different - they're both just relying on the user knowing not to do this.

>>"Please don't take me for a clueless Windows ad.. I mean user."

"Windows ad"...?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon