Reply to post: Re: What's to look forward to?

That AMAZING Windows comeback: Wow – 0.5% growth in 2015

h4rm0ny

Re: What's to look forward to?

>>Of course, the goal of all that development was driving the manufacturing cost down (you know, commoditisation) rather than putting (mostly) all sorts of nice new shiny in

Which supports my point. It's not analogous to an Operating System which does have new features added. I already linked you to the GIT source of the Linux kernel and invited you to take a look through. It beggars belief that you think all those developers have been putting in all those hours over all those years yet the OS hasn't grown in significant ways. In fact, it's pretty insulting.

>>rather than putting (mostly) all sorts of nice new shiny in so that Marketing can claim all sorts of new functionality.

Yeah, you call it "new shiny" for "Marketing". You're simply telling us how little you know about the improvements in OSs. Virtualization, better RAID, vastly improved security models, modern hardware support, new APIs, hibernation, support for new filesystems, networking protocols, graphics handling. Again, go and read the link I posted to the Linux kernel source. LOOK at all those changes. Then come back and tell is it's just "new Shiny" for Marketing and that comparing an OS to a switch that hasn't changed its technical specifications in a decade is a good analogy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon