Reply to post: Re: Well...

Google de-listing of BBC article 'broke UK and Euro public interest laws' - So WHY do it?

VinceH

Re: Well...

""but with a blog post or newspaper article, these only ever show the headline and first paragraph. The commenter can't logically have been the complainant."

Not necessarily. If you look at the actual BBC blog post in question, some of the commenters have real names displayed. The top one is Peter Dragomer. A Google search for this guy links to the blog post, shows the blog post's title, but then shows part of his comment in the snippet"

Exactly - one of the comments I was going to make was that the snippet is usually contextual based on the search term.

Another was that the search term suggested by the Guardian bloke demonstrates a lack of understanding of how to search on Google anyway.

His suggested search term: "Dougle McDonald Guardian" - which now shows a number of links on this subject.

A slightly better search term: "Dougie McDonald" +site:guardian.co.uk - which shows the three 'missing' results from his original search term, right there at the top.

I take Andew's point that Google may be re-linking such articles1, but I note their little caveat that some things may have been removed is still present.

This is all getting silly.

1. We won't really know until we hit on a search that definitely has links missing, and not just assumed to be missing, which then magically reappear for the search term later. In the meantime, knickers are not for twisting.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon