Reply to post: Technical support from the other angle

The cute things they say

heyrick Silver badge
Facepalm

Technical support from the other angle

To set the scene: Livebox hit by lightning (via phone line).

> Hello, how may I help you?

< Hi, I need a replacement Livebox, this one has been struck by lightning.

> Okay sir, can you please tell me... What lights are showing on your box?

< None.

> Could you please check that it is plugged in.

< It is not plugged in.

> That may be the problem sir. Can you please plug in your Livebox, then we can go from there.

< You are working through a support script aren't you?

> ...

< Can I suggest a small alteration? If hit by lighting, go to oh-crap?

> Please plug in the Livebox, sir. I cannot assist you otherwise.

< For your information, the power pack is bulging and smells of smoke. Are you happy to accept liability for any damage caused by me plugging this in?

> Smells of smoke?

< Yes, the Livebox was hit by lighting.

> You said that sir, but how do you know?

< Because it is black all around the phone port, the ADSL filter is in pieces all over the room, and when I shake the Livebox, all sorts of stuff - burnt, I should add, rattles around inside. {shakes box}

> Right, sir, I think I understand. I can arrange for a technician to come and look at your phone line tomorrow.

< {nnnnnngh!} I don't need a technician, thank you. I just need a replacement Livebox.

> Your phone line may be damaged.

< Possible, but unlikely.

> How can you be certain sir?

< Check your caller ID, notice where I am phoning you from. It is on the screen in front of you, right?

> ...

< This is really simple. Livebox dead, customer needs replacement. If you need to specify a reason for return, just write "customer did not go to church enough, God was annoyed".

> ...

> ...

> ... [thinking he'd hung up on me]

> ...

> ...

> Right, sir. We can arrange for a replacement unit to be shipped out to you. Where would you like to collect it? Your nearest Orange shops are {blah} and {meh}.

The story didn't end there. The unit sent was a recon with a wifi card that flaked out as soon as it got warm. I managed to keep it limping along by pointing a big fan at the box, but made my thoughts known on the support forums. Luckily, thankfully, a tech there picked up the thread and arranged for a proper replacement to be sent out so I didn't have to call support again. Funny in hindsight, but at the time... Grrrr!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon