Reply to post: The prodigal poster returneth...

Recommendations for private cloud software...

J. Cook Silver badge
FAIL

The prodigal poster returneth...

All:

Apologies for being... less than responsive. (it's been an insane 6 months here; the icon is appropriate on my part.)

The company I'm researching this for is, in fact, based in the US. (sort of; it's owned by a native american tribe, so technically, it's owned by a sovereign nation) It's an entertainment company, and we have vendors send us large images and other media files for our marketing people to use. These vendor usually use dropbox or some other file sharing service, which causes problems for the marketing people. We have dropbox and other file sharing sites blocked for security reasons, hence the desire to see what others are using in regards for self-hosted solutions.

The suggestions for using a Qnap appliance were... appreciated, albeit amusing; our company is a mid-size organization with a couple thousand employees and a fairly beefy infrastructure. (multiple Netapp FAS filers backing multiple VMware clusters and a a couple hundred virtual servers.) We self-host our web sites, although a third party does the care and feeding on it.

One of the reasons for looking at a self-hosted solution was compliance-related; we want to tightly control who has access to the server on both the internal and external side for data loss prevention purposes. (It's also why there's a global block on file sharing sites.)

While I'd love to use a simple FTP server, this entails our marketing users (and their vendors by extension) figuring out an FTP client to send us files. We tried that, and it didn't work out terribly well. We could *probably* get permission to unblock dropbox for our marketing staff, but that locks us into using them as a vendor. (we did that with YouSendIt until they changed names and made us go 'waaaait a minute...')

The whole project got thrown on the back burner (and hence, my apparent disconnect over the past months) due to staff turnover. (And the less said regarding that, the better.) However, the issue has been raised again which prompted me to look and see what everyone's suggestions were.

Again, thank you to everyone for the suggestions, the discussion, and amusement.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon