Reply to post: Re: Whick qualifications

Which qualifications are worthwhile?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Whick qualifications

I'd love to go further with the stories, but want to keep it short and sweet for anonymity. I'm still learning a lot myself having been in IT only 7 years. All 3 jobs (excluding the new job I'm moving into next week) have been very different. All different industries, different attitudes and different levels of competency in IT.

Everyone should be brave enough to step into the unknown and push themselves. Isn't that what life is about? The two guys I left running the IT with my manager will probably end staying there for many years because they're only moving when pushed (by redundancy or the nature of short term contracts). That's fair enough and if they're happy, so be it. But I'd be unhappy to sit so comfortably in a job that it becomes repetitive and that my skills aren't being stretched. I'm hoping to become someone who can sell their skills on a independent basis and go into consultancy eventually after turning 30 (as long as circumstances don't suddenly change).

There's room/opportunity for everyone in the IT industry as long as they are engaged and want to learn more with every step they take. From what I'm finding at the moment, companies want engaged employees who have a very consistent experience track record. I'm surprised my lack of a degree or major qualifications hasn't stopped me moving up the chain. Maybe that's just the nature of the beast at the moment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon