Reply to post: Its ok liking it now

Which qualifications are worthwhile?

Flakey

Its ok liking it now

at the "hobby" stage but what happens when you are doing it five days a week, week in week out as a job? 12 years ago after being made redundant twice in engineering I too decided I wanted to get into IT, put the work and the hours in to get the qualifications (A+,Network and security+ along with CCNA) and thought I was the mutts nuts when it came to computers until they just took over.

Imagine this, you spend every weekday in front of a computer then when you want time away from them at the weekend you are getting phone calls from family and friends along the lines of "any chance you could come and look at my pc ?, theres something wrong with it" Trust me, it gets to you. In the end I started taking myself off to my close friends garage and tinkering with car engines (something Ive always enjoyed) 3 years ago I'd had enough and was at the garage bitching and moaning about IT and computers, telling my friend how I wanted out. He then offered me a job working in the garage. Of course I took it and for the last 3 years Ive never been happier even tho the money is way less than I was getting and no one asks a grease monkey (which is what I tell people I am) to fix their car.

Do something you like by all means but believe me IT isnt what its cracked up to be.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon