Reply to post: Anecdote.

Weird interview questions

TeeCee Gold badge

Anecdote.

A mate told me this one. He found an HR droid giggling to himself in the pub and bought him a beer to get the story.

They'd been interviewing a candidate who had an impressive CV and who countered every question with a referral back to it. E.g:

"We frequently encounter time pressure due to legislative changes. How would you deal with this?"

"Well, if you look at my CV, you will find that while I was working for XYZ, I ran a project where the scope repeatedly changed. Through keeping tight control of planning.........etc, etc, etc."

"Well, we also find that we sometimes have to respond rapidly. How do you ensure that resource availability is managed?"

"If you look at my CV, you'll see that while I was working for ABC we had a project where the deadline moved forward. I was forced to work with my staff to reschedule holidays.......etc, etc, etc."

Then the punchline:

"As a follow up to that last, we often see changes that render existing projects moot. Say you had moved heaven and earth to acheive a date, including cancelling holidays and such, only to find that on that date it was not going ahead. How would you feel about that?"

"Well if you look at my CV in the 'Hobbies and interests' section, you'll see that I am a season ticket holder at Tottenham Hotspur. I'm used to handling disappointment....."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon