back to article HBGary chief exec resigns over Anon hack

HBGary Federal chief exec Aaron Barr has resigned in a bid to allow the firm to draw a line under the continuing revelations from the Anonymous hack attack. Barr was the prime mover in plans to out senior members of Anonymous at the B-Sides security conference last month. But hunter became hunted after the more skilled members …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hplasm
    Pirate

Night-elf Druid?

Arr Barr sounds more like a pirate to me!

Yarr!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pirate being an anagram

of 'I eprat'

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Geographic restriction of content is from the dark ages.

Can the colbert site please stop the stupid and backwards geographic restriction of it's content.

1. An ominous cow herd

Geographic restriction?

Just go with the flow... the torrent flow, that is.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How to watch the Daily Show and Colbert Report Outside the US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV8rdpF1qZs&feature=player_embedded

3. DrXym

I didn't realise how self-inflicted it all was

Until I read these series of articles that Bruce Schneier linked to

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2011/02/anonymous_vs_hb.html

I'm surprised his Barr wasn't fired the moment this whole thing came down on the company.

Basically the guy thought he was some super hacker extraordinaire, started on a flawed premise, ignored the advice of other employees, and clumsily poked at the Anonymous ringleaders to the extent that they knew who he was and took him down. I especially like his email exchanges with his programmer who basically told him he was full of shit and nuts to do what he was doing. Naturally he did it anyway.

4. JaitcH
    FAIL

HBgary rep is likely unrecoverable

The HBgary caper has thrown far too much of a spotlight not only on it's activities but als that of U.S. government agencies.

Since they can't even keep their servers safe, nor those of BankAmerica and that they are involved in 'dirty tricks' certainly won't enhance their image.

They have been exposed as an organised scam designed to extract money from government projects that are particularly high profile at this time.

Good riddance to them.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Suggestion for Mr. Barr

If you want to rebuild your reputation you should try in a field totally unrelated to IT security like, let's say pizza delivery maybe ?

1. Ian McNee
      Thumb Down

You'd trust this guy to deliver your pizza??

You'd open the box only to find that the poor sap had managed to allow someone to eat all the pepperoni off the top and leave a calling-card in the form of a small dog turd.

As for spending more time with his family, has anyone informed Social Services yet??

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Badgers

"level 90 night-elf druid"

That's pretty much it.

I was cringing through their whole PowerPoint presentations.

Leet posing like that should be disallowed after the age of 20.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Troll

What have I missed?

Powerpoint presentation? Level 90? Eh, what have I missed?

The Colbert report stated actually he was a lvl 80 NE durid in hateful.

I myself looked him up to find out where he was and was idly contemplating transferring one of my highbies over to camp his ass if he were on a pvp server. Would have formed a guild too... called it <hunts Sevrynsten> or <hunts Aaron Barr> or something like that.

Wow armory spits out this url: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/velen/sevrynsten/

From this one can tell he was last known to be guildless. But wow armory also qualifies that the toon has been inactive or is being transferred/name changed etc... So effectively now, we can't see his gear/stats. (I pity the other sevrynsten (a 58 DK) who shares the name, though)

I think he probably name changed or transferred out - did someone actually take a snoop at him on wowarmory at the time for the Colbert report or was that a fabricated for camera screenshot? Because all that's not possible now.

Can't blame him.

At least he did the decent thing and an hero'ed... metaphorically.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reputation salvaging

I'd put money on HBGary changing their name next. Suggestions?

1. Oninoshiko
      Joke

yraGBH!

I vote for "yraGBH" I'm sure noone will figure it out.

(BTW, if they do do this, someone owes me 10k for consulting (not that it's a good idea or anything, but I want free money from fools))

2. Kevin Thorn

Reputation salvaging

'Anonymous Pokers'?

It is factually accurate, as well as sounding a bit creepy.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Crazy Princes are always a Toxic Liability Attracting Increasing Attention ...

..... which Destroys Advanced Enhanced Security Provision and AES Measures/Services/Programs.

"Reputation salvaging .... I'd put money on HBGary changing their name next. Suggestions?" .... zef Posted Tuesday 1st March 2011 18:10 GMT

Yeah, well, hmmm? ..... That worked out real fine for Blackwater/Xe, didn't it.

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Reputation salvaging

"I'd put money on HBGary changing their name next. Suggestions?"

Leaks R Us?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In due time

Maybe in due time all of the hackers at Anon will be prosecuted for their crimes.

1. FozzyBear
      Joke

Possibly

However i hear HBgary are leading the investigation. Don't hold your breath

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre
      WTF?

@ In due time

Certainly. However, in light of the leaked mails, you'd have to stretch your hollier-than-thou moral sense quite a bit to paint Anonymous as the villains here....

HBGary Federal (and by that I really mean Aaron Barr) routinely broke the -admitedly half-arsed - digital millenium act, and made that their business model. They were semi-openly planning even worst nastyness, unless you condone blackmailing journalists, smear-campaining activists and unionists, and malware-infecting random systems for a bounty.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Look, Mum! That man's herding cats!

This is what happens when you pick consultants because you like them, or at least think you understand them, rather than because they're any good.

I bet this guy really talked the talk, and with lots of that rigid procedural thinking the military seem so fond of. He probably used Powerpoint like Darth doing Jedi mind control, and the fuckwits fell for it.

I wonder if government and military networks can ever be secured? The military will have to learn to deal productively with some people they REALLY don't like, and who'll follow anything but orders, or this sort of thing will inevitably happen again and again.

Another reason to free Gary McKinnon? Or perhaps they're secretly after his "expertise" :)

1. Oninoshiko
      WTF?

Well, strictly speaking,

if you were qualified to properly judge the merits of consultant (atleast insofar as security consultants go), you likely wouldn't need them enough to justify there insane prices.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Perhaps he's feeling a need

to become anonymous for a while.

12. miknik
    Happy

"Anonymous is a hornets' nest and Barr said I'm gonna stick my penis in that thing."

Joining Andrew Crossley in the hornets nest gang bang, what a noob. When will these people learn the internet is serious business?

13. url
    WTF?

what???

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/hbgary-emails-sweet-valentine-social-engineers-021411

the article linked is why the moron should have quit.

being outed on tv was waiting far too long and displays the arrogance of a fool.

the damage he has caused the entire community actually has much wider repercussions.

his not resigning sooner is indicative of the kind of desperate ethics in play.

no, i'm not being naive, if this is the state of play, then game on, go go anon and anyone like them.

14. EWI
    Dead Vulture

HBGary story all about Wikileaks/Anonymous?

How about that they were actively soliciting (along with their associates) the US Chamber of Commerce for running dirty-tricks campaigns against unions and Democrats, up to and including leaking fake documents to later discredit the Chamber's enemies? How about covering that?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Is there any doubt?

Will they even bother to have nominations for the Pwnie awards this year? I guess Best Song and Best Client-Side Bug are still up for grabs.

http://pwnies.com

16. bugalugs

Falling on his sword

after sticking it into a hornet's nest ?

That's gotta hurt !

17. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Spending more time with my family....

...isn't that what all failed high-flyers say...?

Penguins know better.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like