back to article Faces of the iPad 2 and iPhone 5 revealed

Images of the iPad 2 and iPhone 5 faceplates have surfaced online, giving credence to rumours of a front-facing camera and a larger screen, respectively. First off, this image of the iPad 2 case, courtesy of a Chinese iPhone repair shop, appears to reveal the hole for a front-facing camera - one of the many iPad 2 additions …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shonko Kid
    Jobs Horns

"If this is the design for the iPhone 5, could such a grip be a problem?"

Only if you don't hold it right.

2. CAD4MAC

White 3GS

I really like the idea of a white iPad but think of the 3GS it had a white back not a white front, if this is the case we have a style change coming with the new shape. The new MacBook Pros have a black border and I would have thought the new iPad and iPhone would match?

But who knows?! Not me! But Apple do and we are waiting on the edge of our seats for the big announcements coming this week. I hope Mr Jobs is well enough to present though, always enjoy his Keynotes.

http://bit.ly/CAD4MAC

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re

I'm on the edge of my seat and my thighs are tingling so bad I've soaked through my little Apple panties!!!! OMG!!!!

I lol'd

3. Graham Lee
    Jobs Horns

Fat-fingering

"If this is the design for the iPhone 5, could such a grip be a problem?"

Just avoid holding it in that way. Not that big of a deal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Cough

iPhones are not to be held, they are to be placed on a pedestal and gazed at lovingly.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

Fat Fingers et al

With your "fat fingers," you are not part of the target demographic, and thus, not important enough to listen to.

Oh, and gripping it "that way" won't affect the performance of the device's screen, since it's iMultiTouch, and we ban all apps that have buttons next to the border to prevent idiot users who "hold it the wrong way" from harming themselves.

</venom>

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sure it's a problem..

'could such a grip be a problem? Let us know what you think.'

Likewise with me. The fingers that wrap around then touch the screen and that counts as a press, throwing things off.

But clearly - you're holding it wrong.

1. Rich 30

wrong..

I actually think you are holding it wrong. I cant see why you would need to have your fingers on the front of the phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: wrong

Perhaps because it's easier to grip the slippy bugger that way. Plus, fingertips tend to be a bit squashy and part of your finger will naturally wrap around the front slightly if you're gripping it by the edges.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comes with a fitting fit ...

... that includes a sub-dermal implant so you don't have to worry about the correct grip.

6. Eddie Edwards
    FAIL

Circle Jerk

I can see why they call it the rumour "mill" since its one big circle jerk. The external links in this article both point to the same Chinese rumour site which gives no information as to the origin of the photos at all, and has one link ... to yet another rumour site (OK, the WSJ, but it's still unsubstantiated "insider gossip").

Wake me up when the rumours have a trail back to a primary source - even a page saying "this file has been removed due to copyright restrictions" would be more convincing than links to rumour sites which link to other rumour sites.

I'm assuming the pictures here are in fact mock-ups made by bored Apple fanboys with access to laser cutting equipment. Anyone with an hour to spare and $1,000 of equipment could do this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

title

Seems more likely it's St.eve Jobs minions with an hour to spare leaking details to build up hype.

Wait, that doesn't sound like the apple we know at all...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re

Maybe if they had devices not stuck in walled gardens they'd have less free time to make this stuff.

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Happy

Ah, but...

...you must have a passing interest in the subject in order to read the article AND click and submit a comment!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

iPhone picture is a fake

If you look at the iphone 5 faceplate picture you published, you wil see that the white spots are repeated, therefore it has been photo-shopped. it has been declared a fake on many other sites.

1. Semihere
      Thumb Up

I concur

If you zoom into the iPhone photos and have a cursory glance you can see repeating artefacts - dust speckles and highlights on the cellophane wrapper (specifically towards the 'button' end of the screen aperture). Clear evidence of Photoshop's 'rubber stamp' cloning tool.

It might actually be evidence that something has been taken out. Perhaps a label identifying the 'leaker', but nevertheless it's definitely been 'shopped so should be taken with a pinch of salt.

8. Code Monkey

Title

iMeh

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed

iCouldn'tCareLess

9. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Down

To be fair...

...the Chinese site those images are from has been assuring readers that an iPhone Nano is JUUUUST ABOUT to be released... since October 2008. I'd take their 'hot news' with a very large pinch of salt.

10. Test Man
    Stop

'could such a grip be a problem? Let us know what you think.'

Yep, it's already a (minor) problem for me on the HTC Desire HD. Countless times I have launched apps in error when all I wanted to do was to turn off the screen one-handed. Still, thinner bezels look better.

1. dssf

Grips of side pressure

I sometimes experience that with my HTC EVO 4G. But, it usually is limited to single-step actions depending on what widget my finger or webbed areas touch the screen. However, the EVO 4G (and, as of now, a newer model of HTC phone which might be Android or winp7... i can't recall) has a kickstand. I tend to flip it out and use it as an anchor between my midle and ring figner of my right hand. It offers a more reassuring grip on my phone so i can then use my index and thumb to manipulate the screen with the phone wedged tween my index and middle finger.

I do note however that when i am on the light rail, i see BIG guys (say, 6' tall) using these tiny-assed iPhones. I wonder how unmasculine they might feel wheni whip out my EVO 4G. In bars, friends take my phone from me and press it up to their iPhones and lament that mine is bigger, only to hear me echo "Yeh, mine IS bigger..." Bigger body and bigger glass/display.

Surely by now, Apple has GOT to be in receipt of chafing requests for an upsized but still chic-looking iPhone so bigger men and bigger women who do have bigger pockets or purses can carry it but still type on it. I even ran into a guy last year who said he ditched his iPhone in order to have something slightly easier to handle and to type easier on. This is what Apple gets or going with 95th percentile or whatever ranking they chose. But, if these rumors come to fruition, then Apple will apparently bend to demand. What else with they bend to?

11. Electric Panda
    Jobs Halo

com.reghardware.forums.NullTitleException

It actually looks to me like the purported iPad face may be white on the underside and therefore black on the outside where the user sees it. If you look around the edge of the bezel and the outer edge, there's a definite hint of black which doesn't look much like a shadow. Front facing camera is pretty much a given and I'd be amazed if it doesn't feature FaceTime, given how much Apple have been plugging it.

But yes, the iPhone one has been pretty much proven fake.

12. Rich 30
    Stop

fake

I call 'shopped on this.

check out the repeating white dots (lights from above?) and bubbles in the delivery plastic.

13. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Joke

Gawd... Here we go again...

So we are seriously discussing how to hold your iDevice again are we...?

I thought your free rubber bumpers fixed that last year?

14. RainForestGuppy
    FAIL

FAIL, FAIL, FAIL

What camera hole?? On the current ipad the ambient light sensor is directly opposite the HOME button. That's why my case has a hole for it, just like this bezel.

If that is the new Ipad 2 bezel, the one we we can say is that there isn't a forward facing camera.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: FAIL, FAIL, FAIL

So, since the iPhone 4 - you know, the one with the forward facing camera - has a single hole for the camera and light sensor, your statement "If that is the new Ipad 2 bezel, the one we we can say is that there isn't a forward facing camera." doesn't follow, now does it?

2. D@v3
      FAIL

Camera / light sensor

Looking at my iPhone4 i see that the bezel has a hole in it for the camera, but not for the proximity or light sensors, these work through the bezel.

By your (and others reasoning) if the hole shown on the image was for the sensor, then it should be present on current iPads as well. Also, on the current generation iPod Touches, the (face time) camera, is directly opposite the home button, much like it appears to be in this image.

15. Real Name
    FAIL

iPhone 5 case is faked

It was confirmed fake on Saturday ... Google...

16. David Francis
    Jobs Horns

iPad cover

If you look at current iPad you will that at top of screen there is already a hole, probably light level sensor or something.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Indeed

You are indeed correct, that is where the light level sensor is.

17. J 3
    Dead Vulture

Problems with white?

Trouble in making white versions? Why? Something technical or just a marketing thing?

18. Gordon Barret
    Paris Hilton

Not new iPad

Erm, nope - the supposedly new iPad faceplate looks identical to my existing iPad faceplate - one large hole at the bottom for the "home" button and one small hole at the top for the ambient light sensor.

No news here, move along please.

19. aThingOrTwo

Gripgate

A photo of a part which may or may not be real and may or may not be used in the next iPhone which may or may not be called the iPhone 5 and you are already talking up gripgate!

20. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Title Was 'Ere

Jesus christ. Is this how far it's gone? That even the possible-maybe faceplate of the new iPhone and iPad makes news?

Enough. Please God, enough! I want to just sleep through the next few months of fevered speculation as to whether the devices do grant God-like powers and can heal cancer.

It's. A. Fucking. Phone. (Or tablet).

Yeah, I'm a geek, I get psyched over geekie stuff. But what's the geek edge here? Fap fap bloody fap.

21. foo_bar_baz
    Jobs Horns

Faceplate? Facepalm more like.

I have no words. Awestruck minions marveling at the Sun Kings bedpan comes to mind.

Chinese fake or not, this is clever PR if anything ever was.

22. Mark .

Re: Circle Jerk

Indeed. Did the Register turn into Apple Rumours Weekly? I can understand for an Apple site, but there isn't this endless number of articles of speculation and rumour for any other products.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

And so what

More overpriced useless toys for some people to go all gooey eyed over.

To those people: Grow up and get a life that is your own and not the product of a cultish megalomaniac.

<Looks over his shoulder to make sure that the minions of Jobs are not listening and poised to kill with a fondle slab>

24. Andy Watt
    Dead Vulture

I think this story ought to be quietly retired...

Or at least retracted from the list rotating on the front page. This one's making a fool out of itself. Let it go to sleep and never wake up again. It won't be missed.

Either that, or change the headline to something like "speculation reaches fever pitch as photoshoppers go wild in the fruit aisles"

25. Andy Hards
    Flame

my my my

Some people do get a bit worked up over a couple of photos. Can't be real cos it's got that bit which I know is not gonna be there cos I know.

I remember when Jobs announced that there would be a stylus on the 1st one and all the fan bois cooed and cheered but then when he revealed he was joking they all felt like cocks and then said they knew it was just a joke. He's not really God you know. It's only a crappy sub HTC phone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like