back to article Kinect connect rate outstrips Sony PS3 Move

Microsoft shipped around 8m Kinect Xbox add-ons during 2010, trouncing its earlier forecast of 5m units. An impressive performance, perhaps, until you see the next number provided, like the above, by market watcher IHS iSuppli: those shipments led to over-the-counter sales of 6.36m Kinects. So, as of the start of January this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hplasm
    Thumb Down

And in Monkeyworld-

Bananas outsell pumpkins.

Your point?

(The phrase 'chalk and chalky cheese' springs to mind, even though it didn't exist a minute ago.)

2. Danny 5
    Thumb Up

not strange

it's no surprise this, surely. whilst the playstation move is a blatant copy of the Wiimote (which is a double shame after putting down the Wii so much after it came out), whereas the kinect is something truly new (not to mention it works far, far better then the alternatives). the kinect will render your body in 3D, something that's impossible with the move controllers. Microsoft has been very smart by doing this, they've come up with something that can do everything the Wiimote/move controllers can do and much more, it's a far superior product.

1. Citizen Kaned

actually

its not a carbon copy. its is vastly more precise and can track depth. meaning it knows if you move towards/away from the screen.

this means games are much more realistic. for example the table tennis game on the sports pack is really accurate and minute changes in the angle of the paddle really make a difference.

remember - sony actually made stuff like this well before nintendo did.

3. theGentlemanLoser
    Paris Hilton

second hand sales

I was all set to buy a kinnect but then I noticed that every computer games exchange store I ever went in always had 8-10 used kinnects on offer. I still may get one but their second hand abundance doesnt fill me with confidence that they are a good buy and they work well in smaller UK front rooms.

I have yet to see a Move controller for sale as a used item but perhaps that says more about the relative price of the two units than anything else (as the kinnect is 3-4 times pricier it is much more attractive to trade in).

Paris because I imagine she owns at least one wand with a brightly coloured ball on the end!

4. Citizen Kaned

well...

the thing is i think the kinect is a fad, where as the move appeals to more 'hardcore' gamers.

i have been playing killzone 3 with the sharpshooter recently and its a lot of fun. very easy to get to grips with and much better to use than crappy console pads (which suck for fps)

even my wife really enjoys playing. its the only way to play fps on consoles. the kinect simply didnt appeal to me at all

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Sony doesn't need to spend.

I wonder if anyone knows how much money Microsoft have poured into Xbox promotion since launch? Yet they have been outsold every year since the launch by the PS3, the 18month headstart and 9m console sale advantage that Microsoft has now evaporated into nothing.

I'm guessing the fact they were trying to sell a unreliable console with last-gen hardware like DVD forced them down that road.

1. Carol Orlowski
      Stop

Doesn't seem to translate into sales.

Every time I turn on the TV, Microsoft are shoving adverts down my throat, there is relatively low amounts of PS3 advertising (I'd say 1/50th as much), yet the PS3 outsells it.

Further demonstrates that Microsoft simply have the ability to pour endless amounts of advertising money at problems until the problems disappear.

1. cannon
        Megaphone

advertising

The ps3 is advertised on UK CH5 films, while the 360 is always on CH4 & ITV.

6. jai

personally

Personally I've been waiting until I get Killzone3 before getting a Move controller.

There aren't any Kinect games that i'm interested in playing yet.

So that's one more sale to Sony coming along when March payday rolls around.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: Personally

"There aren't any Kinect games that i'm interested in playing yet."

Don't hold your breath.

7. Alistair MacRae

Kinnect Attach Rate

I'd be interested to know what the attach rate is with the connect (the amount of kinect games to units i mean)

I bought a kinect on boxing day. It was fun but i haven't played it for a while now. I'm too lazy to jump around with any kind of frequancy I've discovered.

8. MJI Silver badge

Killzone 3 & Move

Is fantastic.

Really enjoyable and I sit on the settee.

Definately a "hardcore gamer" purchase.

Kinnect is more aimed towards casual games currently.

As above two different markets.

None of the current Kinnect games appeal to me at all, same as a large number of Move games.

9. Daniel B.
    FAIL

Who Cares?

They'll BOTH be in the trash bin by next December. Or stored in the "forgotten" stuff next to the Dance Dance Revolution pad, the Lifeline diadem and the Karaoke microphone. Probably joined by the Guitar Hero controller by then...

10. Tigra 07
    Pirate

Piracy...

Does it matter how much they spend on research anyway since PS3s have been banned from sale currently?

That's not gonna inspire a lot of people to swap from an Xbox to a PS3 is it?

1. Carol Orlowski
      FAIL

Come on

Don't believe that idiotic headline crap.

Before the end of the week, i'm guessing LG will be paying Sony a VERY large settlement as a result of losing their claims.

11. LPF
    Thumb Up

@Sony Fanbois

It sold more, becuase its a better piece of technology simples!

as for the PS3 having sold more units, last time I checked thats true in Japan, but still behind in USA and last time I checked the European sales were still if it kept selling at such and such a rate, but was still behind.

Kinect is not aimed at fat boys sitting in thier mothers basements lol

12. LPF

@Sony Fanbois Part 2

Of course this is wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars

But its Wii first by a mile every where , with the Xbox second and Ps3 bringing up the rear ;)

Worldwide sales figures

Wii – 84.64 million as of 31 December 2010[8]

Xbox 360 – 50 million as of 6 January 2011[30]

PlayStation 3 – 47.9 million as of 31 December 2010[31]

Japan sales figures

Wii – 11,450,000 as of 31 December 2010[8]

PlayStation 3 – 4,020,563 as of 17 May 2010[32]

Xbox 360 – 900,000 As of 20 February 2009[33]

Europe sales figures

NOTE: Figures include UK sales, which are listed below.

PlayStation 3 – 16 million as of 17 August 2010[34]

United Kingdom sales figures

Wii – 8.3 million as of 1 October 2010[35]

Xbox 360 – 3.9 million as of 13 January 2009[36]

PlayStation 3 - 3 million as of 25 January 2010[37]

United States sales figures

Wii – 30 million as of 10 August 2010[38]

Xbox 360 – 18.6 million as of 31 December 2009[39]

PlayStation 3 - nearly 12 million as of 14 April 2010[40]

13. Jolyon Smith
    Flame

Anyone claiming that Move copies the Wiimote ...

is a 'tard / Wiifanboi themselves. They may be physically similar, but in terms of capabilities the Move is way ahead of the Wiimote.

Lest we forget, PS3 had it's nose ahead even with it's bog-standard six-axis controller, which could be used in a Wiimote-like way in at least one bowling game that I can think of not to mention games like Warhawk and LBP.

As for the differences in sales... the Kinnect was a shite technology marketed heavily. I stood in stores watching kids and adults playing with Kinnect games, and whilst they were having fun if there was any real connection between their flailing around in front of the TV and what was occuring ON that TV screen, it was tenuous at best. Something that they would no doubt eventually realise themselves once they got the thing home and got over the WOW COOL factor.

This is exemplified by the numerous videos on line of people "playing" Kinnect games whilst sitting absolutely motionLESS.

The real test of a product's merits is not in initial sales of the units but the satisfaction of the people who *bought* those units.

You would have to suspect that the Move will have the edge in that more meaningful metric precisely because it wasn't so heavily marketted. Those that bought a Move did so because they were taken in by the marketting (many aspects of which have been proven to have been unrepresentative of the technologies actual capabilities).

1. Juillen 1

Kinect..

Appeals to those of us who enjoy a good game, but hate being a little on the lardy side (which I'm still slightly guilty of).

It's a bit of casual fun (without STDs) with a good bit of energy usage, and a good little workout.

Great fun at parties too.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Peladon

Time and motion

Well and all. Heresy though it may be to say it, there's more potential to Kinnecting than games (and I'm not decrying games :-P).

Motion-capture is useful in elements of game design (for the bigger stuff) or animation development (for mere mortals). Mocap suits aren't cheap (compared to a Kinnect, at least). I was reading a blog port recently by someone already (apparantly successfully )using a standalone Kinnect to develop motion capture animations. A huge volume sale? Likely not. A potential for use? Maybe...

16. Big Bear
    Go

@Jolyon Smith

"Wiifanboi" - mayhap a "Wiiboi"?

17. asdf
    FAIL

lol @ Sony fanbois

Lol how sad is it they are all proud that Sony has almost sold as many consoles as me too wanna be 1/3 failure rate Microshaft? Almost a 100 million less PS3 sold than PS2s. From best ever to third place in one generation also using a crap cpu even Apple know was full of fail (funny how IBM has quietly killed the Cell for all but PS3 production). I do enjoy some of the PS3 exclusives as they don't usually wind up on the PC in a few months like the Xbox. Too bad Sony has spent the last decade destroying the customer goodwill it spend decades before building up.

18. David Neil

Kinnect

I'm pretty sure I read a report recently that an upcoming firmware update may enable it to track individual digits.

Maybe once the developers get to grips with it we'll see some interesting games.

Remember the DS had a period after launch where devs just didn't know what to do with it

19. fnordianslip
    FAIL

Move and Sharpshooter

The Move seems to have drift issues when playing MAG and Killzone3. These are apparently more evident when combining the Move with the Sharpshooter. The sighting cursor can end up offset by as much as 1/4 of the screen's width from the point at which the Sharpshooter is aimed.

There are quite a few posts in the MAG, Killzone3 and PS3 forums regarding the calibration/drift problems people are having using the Move. No wonder the red EU model Sharp Shooter had the sighting ridge removed, as it would only draw attention to the woeful registration between the pointing of the device and the on-screen sight cursor.

It would actually be quite nice if one of the El Reg hacks could ask Sony to provide an explanation, as they don't seem to be responding to the communities on this issue.

1. Citizen Kaned

maybe

i noticed it slightly in one game on several hours spent. only a few people on the forums have those issues, so i guess its maybe how you setup your controls, the position of the eyetoy or a faults controller or something.

the thing is its much easier to pull back the stock and use it from the hip. you have sights on screen so you dont need to aim down the controller. plus it hampers your movement a bit online. offline is fine as its nowhere near as fast paced.

there are some issues, but thats mainly down to the devs of killzone - with things like aiming down sights spannering about when you exit that mode. they have said that these will be fixed in an upcoming patch

20. squilookle

Title

I can't be bothered with motion gaming anymore. Did that when the Wii first came out. Now my Wii still gets well used, but mostly with games that allow you to use a more conventional control scheme (Wii remote sideways, classic or GameCube controller). Sometimes we break the motion games out when friends are round, but not too often.

For that reason, I won't be buying the Kinect (I have an Xbox 360), and probably would not be buying Move if I had a PS3 (but I don't have one anyway).

I think the Kinect looks innovative and everyone I know who has it has said it is fun. Move does look like a rip off of the Wii remote to me, although I know a couple of people who have it and they say it is more responsive (although having been released later, it should be).

Generally, I would expect the Kinect to sell better as I have always been under the impression there are more 360s floating about than PS3s, although I'm not suggesting that equates to fact.

1. Citizen Kaned

as said before

wii actually ripped off sony. you could play move style games on the ps2 with the first eyetoy.

of course this one has gyros etc that a wii had but be clear that nintendo took from sony - not the other way round

cant believe im sticking up for sony this much - but people ought to know the facts

1. squilookle

@Citizen Kaned

"but be clear that nintendo took from sony - not the other way round"

You have no reason to stick up for Sony based on my post, I haven't attacked them. I never said Sony ripped off Nintendo. I said it looks like it. I'm aware of Eye Toy.

I don't care who did it first, and I doubt most of the casual gamers that have bought the Wii, and who Sony hope will buy the Move care either.

Nintendo made it popular, and it looks like Sony are late to the party. They might not be late, and a simple Google search might prove it, if anyone cares to look into it. But I don't think most people do.

21. cannon
    Megaphone

console war pathetic dreamt up by the manufacturers to control loyality & free advertising.

FFS who cares they both have a monopoly over titles available keeping the prices artificially high & blocking indy "FREE" titles so ppl dont get distracted from purchasing more of their dribble that we've seen countless times before.

then they sell you half a game that costs the same as full titles used to, & then sell you the rest via micro payments, that are locked to you only, and when you sell your console you are not allowed to sell any downloaded content forcing everyone to purchase "new only". what f'ing moron would pay for something that is worthless?

sony & m$ destroying the gaming industry, trampling over your rights, but yet you still keep feeding the devils!

on a different note, i know 1 friend with a ps3 and virtually everyone one else under 50 owns either a wii, a 360 or both. i made this remark at afterdawn, after a mod stated that the ps3 was projected to outsell the 360's very soon & he banned me from the forums, like what is this world coming too.......

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like