back to article Mozilla unfurls twelfth and last Firefox 4 beta

Mozilla has released the twelfth and final Firefox 4 beta. "We are in the final stages of the Firefox 4 Beta cycle," reads a blog post from the open source outfit. "The team has fixed more than 7,000 bugs since the first beta release." On Thursday, Mozilla release manager Christian Legnitto confirmed that number 12 would be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. illiad

yeah now to wait for the addon upgrades.... :P

even the simple 'new buttons' ones dont like it...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ambivalent

Tried a couple of earlier betas. Don't like the new interface. What to do? Will probably stick with 3.6 for the time being.

Haven't tried Opera for a while; I wonder if it's any less annoying yet?

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Umm

You can turn all the stupid new interface features off, and/all install an extension (like status-4-ever) to but back the bits they tore off.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Umm

Tried that already but it doesn't really work very well and it didn't seem to play nicely with my usual statusbar add-ons. Or at least it didn't when I tried it. Will certainly give it another go.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Haven't tried Opera for a while; I wonder if it's any less annoying yet?

Blasphemer!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone knows Opera is perfect in every conceivable way, and will eventually be worshipped as the second coming of Jesus/whichever deity my reg reading colleagues care to worship.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

re: Opera

No, it isn't. It still does almost everything- on paper. In practise, it is sufficiently irksome that you wouldn't want to.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

At last!

They finally fixed that absolute clusterfuck of ruining the URL bar?

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

oh well

Too little too late, as they say. Switched to Chrome a few days ago because couldn't take the Hotmail bug anymore. And there's no mention of it in the changes, so pass it is. lol

1. Mark342

Not Mozilla's problem to fix

The bug is Microsoft's fault. They have said that they will have a fix ready by Firefox 4's RC.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627729#c128

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not Mozilla's problem to fix

The hotmail bug is Microsoft's problem and Microsoft has told Mozilla that they have a fix that they are testing that will be ready by Firefox 4's RC.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627729#c128

3. Tony Green
      FAIL

Hotmail?

You're still using it?

4. batfastad
      Jobs Horns

Iron

Oops. Think you actually meant to switch to Iron rather than Chrome.

Or maybe you want to give Google your browsing history info for free?

5. brudinie
      Flame

In that case, try IE6

Hmmm, maybe you would prefer a browser that doesn't follow web standards, I suggest IE6.

It will probably render pages as intended by the author (with plenty of bad mark up and neglect for standards adherence) - that is if the author is Microsoft.

5. Graham Lockley

Working fine here

Seems a little quicker but other than that its business as usual. The few plugins I have seem to work ok as well.

6. RFC822
    Unhappy

Lost its way

I remember when Firefox was built on a really powerful premise - there would be a small core browser that would do the basics really really well, and a set of Extensions, from which I could choose the ones that were important to me.

Firefox seems to have increasingly lost its way, becoming full of bloat and pointless (to me, at least) alterations to its appearance.

Not sure where to go next - Google knows too much about me already, so not Chrome, and I just don't get on with Opera. Perhaps I should give IE9 a whirl???

7. batfastad
    Jobs Horns

Addons

I'll only switch to 4 once ALL of my addons have been officially updated for 4.

And once there's addons available which turn on all the features that are removed from 4.

Why do people think that fiddling with UIs for the sake of it is a good thing?

8. Marco van de Voort
    Thumb Up

At last 2

Well at least they fixed that url hover problem. The url bar thingy looked sharp, but there was less room to view large urls.

Actually I kind of like the compromise they made. One can now view long urls, and the space at the bottom of the screen is not lost.

And... more importantly, they do seem to listen to feedback.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

like it

I installed beta 4 and have been using it since. The tabs layout took a little getting used to but I much prefer it now. The URL down in the bottom left corner is far more sensible given that most users are used to looking for the status bar (which is gone).

The half dozen or so add ons I use all seem to work fine.

Really like the 'pin as app tab' feature if you use gmail - especially if you protect the tab then use google labs to show the message count on the favicon and use tabs mix plus to hide the 'protected' thing on the icon.

10. GoGlen
    Coat

Not all "radical" UI changes are for the best

Too often, somebody (some company, etc) makes a radical change -- and then everybody thinks they have to do the same thing to not seem like they are "out of date".

Think about bell-bottom pants from the 1970's. They were in. Then, they went to tight. Sheeple followed. Fast-forward a few cycles, now it is hanging-low-exposing-butt-crack. Really? If something is **COMFORTABLE**, I prefer to continue to use it... even if young sheeple don't.

WinAmp did it right. They moved to a sort-of-radical new look, but kept the NATIVE "classic" look. Yes, today, I still use it. I am a minimalist - it is a simple UI that has what I need with no flashy icons.

Firefox was that way... until 4.0. Sure, **SOME** people may like the new look (keeping up with the Joneses), but the other way was fine. I can understand needing to minimalize the interface if suddenly you have *LOTS* of new functionality you need to make available - and it would clutter the old menus... but, the "new" way simply makes things take more clicks (hides menus) and in return you get a teeny-tiny more screen real estate.

Really? I have a not-so-great 1920x1200 (several years old) - and never run any windowed (non-video) items full screen -- or even full height or full width. YES, I LIKE HAVING EASY ACCESS TO ALL FUNCTIONS.

Fortunately, there are hidden options and addons to restore the menus, status bar, etc to Firefox 4. If I were running on a netbook... then I'd appreciate the screen savings. But, please, just make it a simple menu choice: [ ] I prefer a minimal UI... [ ] I prefer to have all options immediately accessible.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much better than beta 11

I think the FF devs are finally getting the message. Not only did they fix the memory leak, they also scrapped the idea of cramming the target URL (when hovering over a link) into the address bar.

Yeah, it's just another browser update, but I'm looking forward to the FF4 release. FF3 is slow, and Chrome is starting to remind me of Safari... ugh.

12. takuhii

WHAAAAA!!

I'm on Beta 13 of Firefox 4???

13. mhenriday
    Boffin

FF 4.0b12 the last beta ?

Given that the current nightly build is yclept Minefield 4.0b13, permit me to entertain some doubts....

Henri

14. Relgoshan
    Grenade

Damn Furries

Extension hell is a nightmare. I had to talk this kid away from Firefox 2 so they'd stop coming back with new viruses. Problem was the "Super Mario" browser theme wasn't available for newer builds. Stupid reason but there you go: aesthetics over safety.

I would clearly state that I am of "the other browser" persuasion, so my perspective is a touch jaded; however I feel that Firefox 4 is being held back by cooking too many features at once. Also, no more Fursonas for now, right?

Anybody have a sitrep on Firebug? Dev mailing list viewable on Google, seems there are like five guys trying to make it work with all of the changed behavior in FF4. Can't even debug sites before it goes live, without functional developer tools.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like