back to article Pioneer creates iTunes, YouTube rival

A Pioneer-created TV service will soon enter public testing and allow consumers to download unlimited numbers of TV shows for a monthly fee. synctv_screenshot SyncTV: how the service could look Dubbed SyncTV, the project began inside Pioneer’s research labs, and will eventually enable users to subscribe to individual …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

Dilema

Should I now remove my Freeview PCI card which also acts as a PVR then sign up and pay to watch poorer quality TV?

I think not.

The president of the company tells you it will provide home theatre/DVD or even HD quality. Now that's an easy claim to make, setting up high quality video streaming is a very simple task. I can access the streaming output of my freeview card anywhere on my 100Mbs LAN, and it is perfect, therefore I can provide high quality TV. Ensuring it reaches a target audience several hops and contention ratio's away at the same quality it was put on the wire is another matter.

It's just more frivolous and pointless bandwidth hogging in the hope of making money.

2. Hugh Cowan
    Thumb Up

Joost Killer?

This could in fact be a nail in the Joost coffin especially for Linux users.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Downloading, not streaming

"Ensuring it reaches a target audience several hops and contention ratio's away at the same quality it was put on the wire is another matter."

Its does not appear to stream the shows but download them so the quality should not be affected just the time it takes to download.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

In the UK

So most in the uk will be able to see a couple hours of TV a month, then in kicks your "unlimited" usage policy and your screwed.

5. Graham Dresch
    Thumb Up

Lesson for the BBC

Pioneer seem to have no problem supporting Mac and Linux from the outset, it's time the BBC provided a platform independant download service or scrapped their MS only product.

6. Dave
    Coat

Apple?

Why is Pioneer creating iTunes, which is to be a YouTube rival? Someone should tell Apple...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like